Ahi Tuna Confit
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1 pound tuna
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground white peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs each flat-leaf parsley and fresh mint
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 3 wide strips lemon zest
- 3 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 16 baguette slices
- minced flat-leaf parsley, radishes, and green olives, for garnish
- Cut tuna in half lengthwise. Combine spices in a small bowl. Season tuna all over with spices and put in a 4- by 8-in. loaf pan. Chill, covered, 3 to 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add bay leaf, herb sprigs, garlic, and zest to tuna, tucking them around fish; pour in enough oil to cover by 1/4 in.
- Bake tuna 25 minutes, uncovered, lowering heat if necessary to keep oil from boiling. Let tuna cool to room temperature in oil.
- Lift one piece of tuna from oil; separate into thick flakes. Top baguette slices with tuna, using more if needed, and arrange on a platter with olives and radishes. Scatter minced parsley over platter. Drizzle tuna with some of the oil, and flick some oil onto the olives and radishes too.
- Make ahead: Through step 3, up to 10 days, chilled. Bring to room temperature before serving.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.