Avocado Shrimp Quinoa Bowl
This hassle-free recipe is great for when you want that Tex-Mex feel without the wrap or taco. Using hearty quinoa adds a nice touch to the weeknight round-up.
Share with your friends
- 1 cup quinoa
- FOR THE CILANTRO VINAGRETTE
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 1/2 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle pepper
- freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE TOPPINGS
- black beans
- sliced avocados
- raw or grilled corn, sliced off the cob
- shredded romaine lettuce
- FOR THE PICO DE GALLO
- 1 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/4 - 1/2 inch dice
- kosher salt
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced (seeds and membranes removed for a milder salsa)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cook the quinoa according to the package directions. Combine all the ingredients for the cilantro vinaigrette in a high powered blender and blend for 60-90 seconds until very smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Fold half the vinaigrette into the quinoa, taste, add more if needed.
- Toss the shrimp with the oil, cayenne, garlic powder and chipotle pepper as well as salt and pepper. Grill on an indoor or outdoor grill pan for about 3 minutes on each side until pink and fully cooked.
- Combine the ingredients for the pico de gallo in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning and spice level as needed.
- Divide the quinoa into 4 bowls and top with desired amounts of black beans, avocado, corn and shredded romaine. Sprinkle with pico de gallo and serve.