Baked Shrimp Scampi
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- FOR THE SHRIMP
- 2 pounds (12 - 15 per pound) shrimp in the shell
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE BUTTER MIXTURE
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 teaspoons (4 cloves) minced garlic
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 extra-large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup panko (Japanese dried bread flakes)
- lemon wedges, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel, devein, and butterfly the shrimp, leaving the tails on. Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and toss gently with the olive oil, wine, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.
- In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallots, parsley, rosemary, red pepper flakes, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper until combined.
- Starting from the outer edge of a 14-inch oval gratin dish, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and toward the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.