Blackened Shrimp and Asparagus Skillet
Ready in 20 minutes, this low-carb and keto friendly dish is a quick mid-week meal that even the most timid of cooks can prepare!
Share with your friends
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus (1 or 2 bunches) rinsed and trimmed
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, optional
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon slices, for garnish
- red chili pepper flakes, for garnish
- fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- To make the blackened shrimp and asparagus skillet: In a large bowl add the shrimp, chili powder, paprika, onion powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper. Coat well and set aside.
- In a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon oil and cook seasoned shrimp on each side for 2-3 minutes or until browned and cooked through. Remove to a shallow plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet (clean up if necessary, to remove brown bits), add 1 tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter and reduce heat to medium. Add vegetable stock, lemon juice and sriracha and bring to a simmer. Allow the sauce to reduce a little, then add the asparagus and cook the asparagus until crisp-tender, approx. 4-6 minutes, turning the asparagus regularly to coat into the sauce.
- Push the asparagus on the side and add blackened shrimp back to the pan. Squeeze a dash of lemon juice on top of the blackened shrimp and asparagus. Allow reheating for 1-2 minutes then remove grilled shrimp and asparagus from heat, garnish with parsley, lemon slices, and red crushed chili pepper if you like. Serve your blackened shrimp and asparagus immediately, enjoy! You can serve the blackened shrimp and asparagus with a side of zucchini noodles, cauliflower rice, mashed potato, or just plain regular rice.