Chorizo and Shrimp Paella
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 small tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 pound Spanish chorizo, casings and ends removed, sliced into rounds
- 8 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3/4 cup dry white or rosé wine
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- back-burner stock
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups bomba rice
- 1 cup green olives, pitted, torn into large pieces
- 1 lemon, plus wedges for serving
- radish sprouts (for serving)
- flaky sea salt
- Process onion, celery, and garlic in a food processor until finely chopped; transfer to a small bowl. Add tomatoes to processor and process until smooth; set soffritto aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp. oil in a 12"–14" paella pan or skillet over medium-high. Add chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shrimp to same skillet, season with salt, and cook, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer to plate with chorizo.
- Heat remaining ½ cup oil in same skillet over medium-high. Add reserved soffritto and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8–10 minutes. Add wine, bring to a boil, and cook until mixture is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add paprika, sugar, and 2 tsp. salt. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick, about 3 minutes. Add stock and saffron and bring to a boil.
- Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid starts to simmer, about 5 minutes. Quit stirring; a film will form on the surface (this will trap steam, making a gooey cover over the rice, helping it cook evenly). Reduce heat to low and simmer, moving pan around every few minutes so the entire bottom gets equal time over the hottest part of flame, until liquid evaporates, 12–15 minutes.
- Top with olives and reserved chorizo and shrimp. Finely grate lemon zest and squeeze lemon juice over paella, top with sprouts, and season with sea salt. Let paella rest 5 minutes before you dig in; serve with lemon wedges.