Foil-Roasted Cod with Herbed Vegetables
Each piece of cod gets its own pouch of butter, vegetables and seasoning. After 20 minutes in the oven, they emerge like individually-wrapped gifts from the seafood gods.
Share with your friends
- 1 pound zucchini
- kosher salt
- 1/2 pound plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 4 cod fillets, 1 to 1 1/4 inches thick
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, minced
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Toss zucchini with ½ teaspoon salt in large bowl; transfer to colander set over bowl. Let stand until zucchini releases 1 to 2 tablespoons liquid, about 30 minutes. Arrange zucchini on triple layer paper towels; cover with another triple layer paper towels. Firmly press each slice to remove as much liquid as possible. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, oil, garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes, ¼ teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl.
- Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Cut eight 12-inch sheets of foil; arrange four flat on counter. Distribute salted zucchini among foil sheets, mounding in center of each. Pour 1 tablespoon vermouth over each mound of vegetables. Pat fish dry with paper towels; season with salt and pepper and place one fillet on top of each vegetable mound. Spoon quarter of tomato mixture over each fillet. Place second square of foil on top of fish; crimp edges together in ½-inch fold, then fold over three more times to create a packet about 7 inches square (see related Step-By-Step). Place packets on rimmed baking sheet (overlapping slightly if necessary).
- Bake packets 15 minutes. Carefully open foil, allowing steam to escape away from you. Using thin metal spatula, gently slide fish and vegetables onto plate with any accumulated juices; sprinkle with basil. Serve immediately, passing lemon wedges separately.