Grilled Scallop Crostini with Bacon Jam
Oh my goodness, these are so good! When I made these for friends, they were gone in minutes - I highly recommend doubling the recipe! The bacon jam is cooked low and slow, but can be made days in advance. I served the bacon jam on a soft, fresh baked baguette, then I topped it with a grilled sea scallop. The flavor combo is absolutely wonderful and this recipe is perfect for all your summer barbecue appetizer needs!
Share with your friends
- FOR THE BACON JAM:
- 12 ounces bacon
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thick
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coffee or espresso
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- FOR THE GRILLED SEA SCALLOPS:
- 12 ounces sea scallops
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY:
- baguette, sliced into 1/4" slices
- flaky sea salt
- fresh rosemary
- FOR THE BACON JAM: Cut the Bacon into half-inch slices and add to a large frying pan. Cook over medium-high heat for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently until the Bacon is cooked but still quite chewy. Use a slotted spoon to remove the Bacon from the pan.
- Pour out all but 1 tablespoon of the Bacon drippings. Add the Onions to the pan and cook for about 8-10 minutes then reduce the heat to low. Add the Brown Sugar and stir. Continue to cook until the Onions have caramelized, about 20 minutes.
- Add the reserved Bacon, Coffee, and Water and increase the heat to medium. Continue to cook, stirring about every five minutes, until the Onions are thick and jam-like, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir through the Balsamic.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to a week. Bring back to room temperature before serving. There will be little spots of white fat when you take it out of the fridge. As the jam comes to room temperature, these will disappear.
- FOR THE GRILLED SEA SCALLOPS: Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread Scallops onto skewers (no more than 5 per skewer.) Add Oil, Salt, and Pepper to the Scallops. Make sure they are fully coated.
- Grill for 3 minutes on one side. Flip, and grill on the other side for 3 minutes. Remove cooked Scallops from the skewers.
- FOR THE ASSEMBLY: Spread Bacon Jam onto sliced baguette. Add a grilled Scallop on top of the bacon jam. Garnish with flaky Sea Salt or fresh Rosemary.