Grilled Scallops with Creamed Corn
Skewers are the life of the party, always. Grilled sea scallops are such a big hit that we need creamed corn to be the responsible one.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 3 dried pailla chiles, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 2 teaspoons chipotley chile powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 pound large sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green garlic
- OR 2 medium leeks, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 ears of corn, husked, kernels grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- vegetable oil, for drizzling
- lime wedges, for serving
- a spice mill
- 8 inch metal skewers
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat. Coarsely grind pasilla chiles in spice mill. Mix ground chiles with thyme, oregano, coriander, fennel, chipotle chile powder, black pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl to combine. Scatter lime zest over scallops, then cover them all over with 2 Tbsp. dry rub (reserve extra rub for another use). Chill scallops while you make the creamed corn.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low. Cook green garlic, shallot, and garlic, stirring occasionally, until very tender but without taking on any color, 6–8 minutes. Increase heat to medium and add grated corn; cook, stirring often, until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Stir in 2 Tbsp. water and cook, stirring, until absorbed. Continue to cook, stirring and adding water 2 Tbsp. at a time and letting it absorb completely before adding more, until corn is creamy with a risotto-like consistency, 12–18 minutes. Stir in butter; season creamed corn with salt.
- Thread scallops onto skewers, dividing evenly, season with salt, and drizzle with a little vegetable oil. Grill until deeply browned and just cooked through, about 3 minutes per side, depending on size. Transfer skewers to a platter and squeeze some lime juice over scallops.
- To serve, divide creamed corn among plates and top with skewers. Serve with more lime wedges for squeezing over.
- Do Ahead: Dry rub can be made 1 month ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
Products you will need