Grilled Shrimp with Cilantro Pesto
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- FOR THE CILANTRO SAUCE
- 1 shallot, roughly chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh cilantro leaves, stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- FOR THE GRILLED SHRIMP AND BREAD
- 2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- wooden skewers, soaked in water or metal skewers
- 1 loaf of bread, sliced into 1 1/2 inch pieces on a bias
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 3 lemons, halved and grilled
- FOR THE CILANTRO SAUCE: Combine all the ingredients in a high powered blender and blend for 60 seconds until very smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed. Serve immediately. Or you can refrigerate the vinaigrette for up to 5 days.
- FOR THE GRILLED SHRIMP AND BREAD: Thread about 6 shrimp on each of the soaked wooden skewers and set them on a large plate of cutting board while skewering the rest.
- Drizzle about 1/3 of the vinaigrette over the skewered shrimp along with the juice of the lemon, red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper. Set the shrimp aside to marinate for about 10-20 minutes while you prepare your grill.
- Arrange the thick slices of bread on a large platter and drizzle liberally with olive oil.
- Prepare your gas or charcoal grill to medium high heat. Place the pieces of bread over the heat and grill for a few moments on each side until the bread has grill marks. Using a pair of tongs, flip the bread over and let the other side grilled for a minute or so more until both sides have nice grill marks. Remove the bread from the grill and set aside.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill over medium high heat and grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side until the shrimp are pink. Remove the skewers from the grill and set aside.
- Serve the shrimp and bread with the remaining cilantro vinaigrette and grilled lemon halves.