Grilled Tuna Steaks With Asian Sesame Crust
A 20-minute soy-ginger marinade gets you started. As little as three minutes per side on the grill yields 52 grams of protein per serving.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 4 tuna
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds (white and black combined or white only)
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon water
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large zip-top bag, combine the soy sauce, chopped scallions, lemon juice, sesame oil, and fresh ginger. Swish everything around in the bag until it's well combined.
- Add the tuna steaks, turning to coat them completely with the marinade. Press the excess air out of the bag, seal, and marinate in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to high heat; this can be a countertop contact grill, an open grill pan, or an outdoor gas or charcoal grill. If using a contact grill, set to "sear" or the highest temperature setting.
- Place the sesame seeds on a plate or a shallow dish. Remove the tuna steaks from the marinade, brushing the scallions off the steaks; reserve the marinade. One at a time, coat the steaks in sesame seeds on all sides, pressing the seeds onto the steaks so they'll stick.
- Spray the grill plates lightly with nonstick spray and place the steaks on the grill. If using a contact grill, close the cover so the top grill rests evenly on the steaks; do not press down. Grill for about 3 minutes for a rare, pink interior; grill longer if you prefer your tuna cooked through.
- If you are using an open grilling surface, carefully flip the tuna steaks with a pair of tongs after 3 minutes and cook for 3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the steaks from the grill and keep warm.
- While the tuna cooks, pour the marinade into a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Mix the cornstarch with the water to create a slurry and add to the saucepan, stirring with a whisk. Simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
- To serve, slice the tuna steaks on the diagonal into thin pieces. Fan the slices on a plate and drizzle with the sauce.