Grilled Yellowfin Tuna Melt with Wasabi Mayonnaise
This recipe is such a fun play on a classic tuna melt! I love the fresh element of the seared yellowfin tuna instead of using canned tuna. Combine the freshness of the yellowfin tuna with the bright kick of wasabi mayo, creamy sliced avocado, melty cheddar cheese, and smoked Gruyere...and what you have is one heck of a delicious sandwich! I enjoyed this melt on the back patio with a cold beer and some homemade chips. Such a perfect summer sandwich!
Share with your friends
- 1 tablespoon wasabi
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 yellowfin tuna portions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked gruyere cheese
- 1 avocado, seeded, peeled, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bread
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- In a small bowl combine Mayonnaise and Wasabi; set to side.
- Pat Tuna dry with a paper towel. Rub with Oil and season with Salt and Pepper.
- Heat a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add Tuna to the hot skillet. Cook 5-7 minutes or until seared and still pink in the center, flip half way through cooking. Remove Tuna from the skillet and wipe the skillet clean.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread the Bread slices with the Wasabi Mayonnaise. Layer Gruyere Cheese, Tuna Steak, Avocado, and Cheddar Cheese on two bread slices. Add additional Wasabi Mayonnaise to one side of the 2 remaining slices of Bread and add to the sandwich, Wasabi Mayonnaise side down.
- Spread softened Butter on the top and bottom of the sandwiches . Heat the skillet over medium heat. Add sandwiches to the pan and cook, covered, for 3 minutes, or until the bread is toasted. Flip and cook, covered, for another 3 minutes. Cut the sandwich in half and serve immediately.