Hot Honey Salmon with Fake Butternut Gratin
Hot Honey might just be one of the greatest inventions to come up on the culinary scene and we are willing to bet you would agree with us too. Chrissy’s take on Butternut Squash with freshly grated cheese and thyme has us wondering why we have ever bothered to make it any other way before.
Share with your friends
- FOR THE SQUASH
- 1 butternut squash, about 2 1/2 pounds
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, plus some whole sprigs
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- FOR THE SALMON
- 1/4 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 2 pounds salmon
- Arrange two racks in the top and bottom thirds of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half at the point where it bells out, then stand up each piece and use a sharp knife to cut away the peel (or use a heavy duty peeler). Use a spoon to scoop out any seeds from the wider piece of squash (the narrower top part should be seedless). Cut the squash into ½-inch rings and add to a large bowl. Toss with the oil, thyme, salt and pepper, and arrange on a large rimmed baking sheet (it’s OK if some of the pieces overlap slightly). Drizzle the squash with the cream, then sprinkle the cheese on top and scatter a few thyme sprigs all over the top. Slide into the bottom rack and roast until golden and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Once you’ve got the squash in the oven combine the mustard, honey, garlic, cayenne, and salt in a bowl. Arrange the salmon, skin side down, on another baking sheet, spread the mustard mixture on top and arrange the lemon slices on top of the fish. During the last 15 minutes of squash cooking, slide the salmon into the top rack and bake until the salmon is just baked through, 13 to 15 minutes. Crank up the broiler and broil the salmon for 2 minutes so the lemons caramelize slightly.
- Remove both baking sheets from the oven and serve the salmon with the squash.