Kung Pao Shrimp
Grab the wok or skillet. It’s time for restaurant-style Kung Pao shrimp—crunchy, zesty and magnificently meaty. Brought to you by Joyous Apron.
Share with your friends
- 3/4 pounds shrimp
- 1/2 cup zucchini, cubed
- 1/3 cup red bell peppers, sliced
- 1/3 cup canned water chestnuts
- 1/3 cup peanuts
- 10-14 dried red chiles
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 8-12 slices ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, more if needed
- FOR THE KUNG PAO SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
- Pat dry defrosted shrimp. Cube zucchinis, mince garlic, cut up red bell peppers. Slice green onions and ginger. Drain water from canned water chesnuts.
- Create stir fry sauce by combining all the stir fry sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Remove seeds from dried red chiles.
- Place all the ingredients needed for the stir fry next to wok/skillet as the stir fry process will go fast! When ready, add vegetable oil to wok/skillet and heat up wok/skillet under high heat.
- Once wok/skillet is heated up, add shrimp and cook for a minute or so. Shrimp should not be completely cooked before proceeding to the next step.
- Add dried red chiles, minced garlic, sliced ginger and stir fry sauce. Cook very briefly, for 30-60 seconds.
- Add zucchini and red bell peppers, and cook for another minute or so to soften veggies. Avoid overcooking.
- Add water chestnuts, peanuts and green onions. Cook for ~30 seconds or so.
- Remove promptly. Serve with white or brown rice. Enjoy!