Italian flavors take center stage, courtesy of fire-red tomatoes and red peppers, garlic, oregano and capers. The bright colors and aromas bring plates, palates and parties to life.
Share with your friends
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cored, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cored, cut into thin strips
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons capers, divided
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pound sea scallops
- splash of fresh lemon juice
- handful fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat 2 to 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium heat until shimmering but not smoking.
- Add shallots, red bell peppers, and green bell peppers. Raise the heat to medium-high, and cook for about 3 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- Add minced garlic, tomatoes, and capers. Season with just a pinch of kosher salt and black pepper. Add oregano, cumin and paprika. Toss to combine. Cook for another 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Keep warm while you work on scallops.
- In a separate skillet, heat another 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil over medium-high heat. Add scallops and cook for 2 minutes on one side, turn over and cook another 1 to 2 minutes (do not overcook).
- Transfer scallops immediately to the other pan and nestle them in the tomatoes and peppers mixture. Squeeze just a little bit of lemon juice all over. Garnish with parsley.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately over a bed of lemon rice or plain orzo.