Oven Fried Coconut Shrimp with Thai Pineapple Chili Sauce
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 pounds shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- FOR THE PINEAPPLE CHILI SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sweet Thai chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 - 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pineapple
- 1 lime, zested and juiced, plus more for serving
- Thai basil or cilantro, for serving
- honey mustard or aioli, for serving
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the shrimp and toss well to coat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Rub 2 baking sheets with oil.
- To a medium-sized bowl, add the coconut, Panko, flour, sesame seeds, paprika, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove each shrimp from the egg, and dredge through the crumbs, pressing gently to adhere. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the shrimp have been used. Make sure not to crowd your pan, if necessary use two baking sheets. Lightly brush/drizzle the shrimp with olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked and the breading crisp.
- Meanwhile, make the chili sauce by combining all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the shrimp topped with Thai basil, limes, and the pineapple chili sauce for dipping. Add creamy honey mustard or aioli for a little double-dip action. Enjoy!