Scallop Cakes with Spicy Aioli
For my holiday gathering I wanted to make something that was out of the box and would wow my friends. I’ve only ever had whole scallops so I thought why not mince the scallops and fry them into crispy little cakes! The end result did not disappoint and these yummy cakes flew off the platter! Don’t forget the spicy honey aioli!
Share with your friends
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons leek, white portion only, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons creole seasoning
- 1 pound scallops
- FOR THE COATING
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 4 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- FOR THE SPICY HONEY AIOLI
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup honey mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine Egg, Bread Crumbs, Red Bell Pepper, Leek, Garlic, Honey, Mustard, Thyme, Lemon Pepper Seasoning, and Creole Seasoning. Place Scallops in a food processor; cover and pulse until just pureed. Fold into Egg mixture.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the Bread Crumbs, Parsley and Pepper. Drop 2 tablespoons of Scallop mixture into the crumb mixture. Gently coat and shape into a 1/2 inch thick patty. Repeat with remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the Mayonnaise, Mustard, Lemon Juice, Apple Cider and Seasonings. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet over medium heat. Cook patties in oil in batches until golden brown, 2-3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels. Serve with Aioli.