Seared Scallops with Lemony Farro and Arugula Salad
It’s healthy. It’s gourmet. It hardly matters what you call it. Browned sea scallops on nutty farro is hard to categorize but easy to love.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups farro
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 ounces baby arugula, washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sea scallops
- Bring the water to a boil over high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the farro and 1 teaspoon of the salt, stir to combine, and return to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium low and continue simmering, stirring occasionally, until the farro is tender, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining teaspoon of salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic, and measured pepper in a large, nonreactive bowl and stir to combine. While whisking continuously, add 3 tablespoons of the oil in a slow, steady stream until it’s fully incorporated. Set the bowl aside at room temperature for at least 15 minutes.
- When the farro is ready, immediately drain it. Re-whisk the lemon-garlic dressing, add the warm farro and arugula, and stir to combine. Set aside while you cook the scallops.
- Remove the white opalescent tab (called the catch muscle) from the side of each scallop, pat them very dry with paper towels, and season both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Place the scallops in the pan and sear without disturbing until the bottoms are deep golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, flip the scallops (if they stick, wait until they naturally release before flipping) and sear the second side until the scallops are opaque in the center, about 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a large plate.
- Stir the farro salad to recombine, then divide among 4 plates. Divide the scallops over the salad and serve immediately.
Products you will need