Shrimp, Grapefruit, & Pistachio Ceviche
This dish is inspired by a trip I took to Copenhagen in 2017. At a local restaurant I ordered ceviche and what came to the table was different than any ceviche I've ever had - and I LOVED it! I've spent the last few years trying to recreate it and now I'm sharing it here with you! I start by "cooking" the shrimp in a fresh grapefruit juice mixture for 2 hours. The acidity in the grapefruit breaks down the proteins in the shrimp making the shrimp become firm and opaque. Before serving, I added in fresh onion, cilantro, chilies, and pistachios! This dish is so flavorful and refreshing. A perfect no heat snack, lunch, or dinner you'll enjoy all summer long!
Share with your friends
- 1 1/2 cups fresh grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small fresno chile or jalapeño chile, thinly sliced or chopped fine
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios
- tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, whisk together Grapefruit Juice, Honey, Olive Oil, and Salt until well combined.
- Add Shrimp to the bowl. Cover and refrigerate until Shrimp are firm to the touch and opaque, at least 2 hours.
- Remove bowl from the refrigerator. Add in Onion, Chile, Cilantro, and Pistachios. Toss together. Serve with tortilla chips.