Spicy Scallops with Watermelon Salsa
Opposites do attract. Find out what happens when sea scallops, spicy with cayenne, meet a cool and limed-up watermelon salsa.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds sea scallops
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups watermelon, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped mint, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- Combine mustard, coriander, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Pat scallops dry with a paper towel; sprinkle with spice mixture.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil to skillet; swirl to coat. Add scallops; cook to desired degree of doneness, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
- Toss together watermelon, onion, 2 tablespoons mint, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 teaspoons olive oil, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl. Combine quinoa, pine nuts, scallions, remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, remaining 2 tablespoons mint, and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice. Serve scallops over quinoa mixture; top with salsa.