Swordfish Souvlaki with Lemon Olive Oil Marinade
Travel to a seaside Grecian tavern with kabobs as colorful as they are delicious. Fresh swordfish gets marinated, skewered...and devoured.
Share with your friends
Ingredients and Method
- FOR THE MARINADE:
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 10 pitted Greek green olives, very finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- FOR THE KABABS:
- 1 1/2 pounds swordfish steaks, cut into 16 equal-sized cubes
- vegetable oil for brushing grill
- 16 whole cherry tomatoe
- 4 medium red onions, peeled and quartered
- 4 metal skewers
- 16 whole fresh bay leaves
- Soak bay leaves in warm water for 1 hour to soften
- Make Marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and lemon juice. Add olives, garlic, lemon zest, and freshly ground pepper to taste and continue mixing to combine.
- Place fish and marinade in a covered bowl or in a zip baggie and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Heat the grill to medium-hot. Lightly oil grill rack.
- Remove fish from marinade, reserving marinade. Thread tomatoes, fish, bay leaves, and onion pieces-in that order-onto skewers, filling all but the top 1 1/2 inches or so on each skewer. Place skewers on grill and cover, making sure air vents are open. Grill, turning and basting with reserved marinade, until fish is cooked and vegetables are lightly charred, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve immediately.