Tuna Sashimi with Sesame Seeds, Carrots and Noodles
Prepare this traditional Japanese appetizer with just 1-2 minutes of searing. Turn it into a full meal with a hearty helping of egg noodles and carrot ribbons.
Share with your friends
- 70 grams sesame seeds, mixed
- 400 grams Tuna
- 350 grams noodles, (wide, egg)
- 1 small cucumber
- soy sauce, for serving
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 rocket, small handful
- FOR THE TUNA: Arrange the sesame seeds in a shallow dish. Crust the tuna with the seeds on both sides.
- Preheat the grill to hot.
- Grill the tuna for 1-2 minutes on both sides until the seeds are toasted and the flesh is very lightly seared underneath.
- Remove from the grill and set aside to rest, covered loosely with aluminium foil.
- FOR THE NOODLES & GARNISH: Cook the noodles in a saucepan of lightly salted, boiling water for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Drain well and refresh briefly in iced water.
- Drain again and leave to dry in a colander.
- Using a vegetable peeler, make wide ribbons from the skin of the cucumber and thin ribbons from the carrots.
- Toss the noodles with the carrots ribbons.
- To serve, pour a little soy sauce onto serving plates.
- Slice the tuna into strips and present in a fanned-out pattern on the plates.
- Arrange the noodles and carrots next to the tuna with the cucumber ribbons and thinly sliced shallot to the side.
- Position the rocket on the other side and sprinkle the noodles with some sesame seeds.
- If desired, garnish with some fresh herbs such as coriander.